
I went with a gritty style on this one so the storyboard matches a Gotham City feel. Doing this digitally was probably the greatest thing ever.
For whatever reason, my images are being reduced in size so the text isn't readable. I'm having the same issue with Flickr and Photobucket, so I've posted the actual, color file here: http://www.benmorseportfolio.com/temp/bmorse_batman_color.png
I found this more humorous than gritty, haha. The fact that Batman doesn't not only ever talk, but he doesn't actually like...move, just adds a funny tone to the piece. I would've liked to seen more actual fighting, rather than just the development of a story, but as far as the story goes, it certainly seems like a plot Batman would use. More camera angles would've been nice as well - Batman's in the same angle a lot. Broader angles would've been more exciting, as well.
ReplyDeleteWithout reading the comments, I think it's pretty easy to understand. Also, when it comes to the background, I think the small detail of the city in the long shot was a nice touch - leaving a black background would've been awfully confusing.
On a last note, the 'bat eyes' arrow made me laugh, but it would've been nice if he actually had eyes. There's probably a lot of examples of the artists using those slits in a way that tells Batman's emotions - like in the intro where his eyes narrow.
The gritty description was more for the art style I used. I wanted the whole thing to look a little dirty and rough.
ReplyDeleteI kept Batman static through this one because I have BOXES of Batman comics at home, and this is my response to the stories where I've thought, "This should be so easy for Batman! He should even have to fight this guy!"
Yeah, I guess the eyes could have been more expressive, but I guess I was still going with the idea that Batman would be almost bored with the simplicity of how he knows this will play out.
The way the story ends is just hilarious. The angle on the establishing shots of the bank and the dam are working pretty well but it could use some variation in the angle of the shots of Batman. The character drawing are pretty good but like myself you could use some more practice with them. Over all I think you did a nice job, the story is easy to follow even without the descriptions.
ReplyDeleteYes Robin is the hero for once! Its funny how simple it was to beat Riddler in the end. Batman does barely anything its hilarious how he just stands there. Keeping the color dark like that was a good idea it adds to the mood and helps establish the setting. My favorite shot was of Batman jumping out of the Batmobile. That was a great angle.
ReplyDeleteNice work Ben. I'm actually a fan of the camera angles even though there are several repeats of close-up Batman shots. In particular, Robin hanging over the dam was well done (and I dig Robin's hair). The style works well, and while it's darkly colored, it reminds me of the old school Batman cartoons. Not just with the BAM! but with its simplicity. A fun story.
ReplyDelete